CHEER LEVEL COURSES
All our Cheer Level courses follow IASF
- Junior Level 1: This course is open to participants aged 12-16 years, who are new to the world of coaching, and will be working as an assistant coach under a lead coach at their programme. This course is filled with interactive exercises and activities aimed to get junior coaches thinking about what their role is within their programme, and how they can be the best coach they can be. Each Junior coach will be provided with an activity handbook which will guide them through the day whilst putting into practice what they learn. The course covers a number of skills in stunts and tumbles from IASF level 1. Junior certificates are valid until the individuals 17th birthday.
- Level 1&2: This course is the starting point for those who are entirely new to cheerleading, those who are transitioning to cheer from a different discipline such as dance or gymnastics, or for (former) athletes who are transitioning to coaching cheerleading for the first time. This course takes you through all the policies and procedures you need to have in place in order to start and develop a successful programme, with room for discussion about communication with athletes and parents, designing a programme or team that meets the needs of your athletes, and a brief introduction into competing for those who are interested. The skills taught during this course include level 1 and 2 introductory stunting skills and tumbling skills, taught in stages of progressions. The course also covers cheerleading jumps, motions, flexibility and conditioning ideas. This course is heavily hands on based for the most effective and safest way to teach cheerleading.
- Level 3: This course is the next step up from our Level 1&2 course. The course progresses from what was taught in level 1&2 with natural progressions into Level 3 skills, such as introducing twisting in building skills, and introducing the tuck shape in tumbling. During this course more emphasis is placed on competitive elements. This course is also very hands on based in order for each coach to leave the course feeling comfortable and safe to protect each athlete whilst up levelling to level 3.
- Level 4-5-6: This course is the next step up from our Level 3 course, and focuses on progressional skills from Level 4 through to Level 6, emphasising the similarity in grips and coaching strategies between skills. This course is fast paced and for experienced coaches who are ready to take their programme to the next level.
DANCE GENRE COURSES
All our dance genre courses follow the IASF rule system.
- Pom Jazz Lyrical Original: this course is a fast-paced introductory course meant for dance teachers who are either new to dance/this dance genre, athletes transitioning to a coaching role, or experienced dance teachers who need a refresher. This course takes you through all the policies and procedures you need to have in place in order to start and develop a successful programme, with room for discussion about communication with athletes and parents, designing a programme or team that meets the needs of your dancers. The course then covers warm-up ideas, dance specific conditioning, flexibility, technical elements, a number of different skills and a discussion on preparation for performances and competitions.
- Pom Jazz Lyrical Advanced: this course is for experienced dance coaches who are ready to take their programme to the next level. This course offers over 40 exercises to develop high level skills for elite dancers. A few examples of technical elements that are covered are, change spot a la second turns, switch leaps, connecting pirouettes and many more. The course goes into depth on how to build an elite dancer covering conditioning elements that boost dancers control in skills in order to progress safely. The course also dives into important aspects for coaches developing competitive teams or professional dancers, such as motivation, nutrition and building a strong mindset for elite dancers. The perfect course for pushing your programme to the next level and preparing dancers for professional training.
- Hip Hop Original: This course will have you dancing for hours! The BGU Hip Hop course is an introductory course meant for coaches who are either new to dance/this dance genre, athletes transitioning to a coaching role, or experienced dance coaches who need a refresher. This course talks you through the origin of a number of street dance styles, such as House, locking, popping and many more. Each coach will experience how to develop groove technique, whilst pushing for correct technical elements of each style. This will be in the form choreographed combinations given by the instructor for each coach to try. This course will leave each coach armed with a repertoire of styles and skills to build your own hip hop routines ready for performances, battles and competitions.
Our focus courses aim to provide specific content to allow you to grow and develop as a coach within your discipline. Focus courses are cheer oriented but have applications in dance, gymnastics/tumbling and other movement disciplines.
- Foundations S&T: our Foundations course is aimed for coaches who are teaching the age group of 3-6yr olds. This course is perfect for coaches who are used to coaching school-age children or older athletes and are transitioning to a younger age group- or coaches who are new to coaching in general and are looking for a deep dive into the minds of younger children. The course is split into two parts – the first part is about the psychology and communication of working with younger athletes and their families. The second part covers 10 tumbling and stunting skills that will allow coaches to build up their own lesson plans with. This course is also a great starting point for Junior coaches who are new to communicating with young children or building lesson plans.
- Foundations D&P: Alike our sister course Foundations S&T, this course is also aimed at coaches who teach 3-6yr olds. With the main focus being to develop children’s understadning of dance technique and performance requirements. The course works on how to plan a dance session delving into detail on how to keep engagement whilst challenging each age group with appropriate level dance skills. The course works on building confidence in each performer through use of lyrics in BGU’s dance and performance personal play list. This course will leave each coach, refreshed with ideas on how to safely develop 3-6yr olds dance technique whilst ensuring confidence in performance.
- SEND Course (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities): INFORMATION COMING SOON!
- Cheer Strength Module 1: The first in this multi-module series, Cheer Strength Module 1 takes a deep dive into the main muscle groups in our bodies, and how we should be training them in order to build effective athletes in a safe environment.